- Stratford Mutual Telephone Company is an Independent Telephone Company located in Stratford, IA with operations in Stratford, Jewell, Gilbert, Story City, and Roland. We are a growing company, providing cutting edge technology to rural Iowa. At SMTC, you’ll be joining a family where we are dedicated to supporting each other and building an atmosphere of teamwork. We have been proudly connecting the communities we serve since 1903.
- Competitive Total Compensation Package
- Company Sponsored Medical, Dental, Vision, and Life Insurance after 30 Days
- 5% Company Contribution to 401K after 30 Days
- Free Services (Internet, TV, Voice) within our service areas
- Company Paid Cell Phone
- Technician – Full Time 40 Hours/Week M-F 8a-4:30p
- Completes daily installation service order requests and trouble reports at the customer premise. Tasks include installing data and telephone wiring and installing equipment for Internet, phone and digital TV services.
- Prepares, splices and tests fiber optic and coax cable
- Completes daily cable locate requests
- Works directly with customers to ensure services are working as expected
- Work cooperatively with SMTC employees to achieve company goals
- Completes all work assignments with a focus on safety
- Perform all other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of Taqua, Zhone, Arista, Minerva, Avaya, and Plume are a plus
- Knowledge of relevant telecommunications/VOIP/IT software and hardware
- Knowledge of broadband systems and networks
- Knowledge of telecommunications equipment, networks, and processes
- Knowledge in fiber splicing
- Knowledge in reading and interpreting technical documents and forms including cable maps, schematics, purchase orders, invoices, expense reports, time reports, material requisition forms, work orders, trouble tickets, and service orders
- Knowledge of telecom products and services
- Skilled in problem solving and resolution
- Skilled in reading and interpreting technical documents and information
- Skilled in oral and written communication
- Ability to communicate with customers, employees, vendors, and visitors in a professional and courteous manner
- Ability to organize and prioritize multiple work assignments
- Ability to pay close attention to detail
Education and Experience
- High School/GED
- Five Years of related experience/training
- Post-Secondary Education preferred (2 or 4-year Degree in IT, Networking, Telecommunications)
Physical Demands and Work Environment
This job operates in a field environment. This role routinely requires extended periods of bending, squatting, climbing, kneeling, pushing, pulling, lifting, lifting in awkward positions, standing, and twisting. Also, this role works in inclement weather conditions, such as extreme heat, extreme cold, rain, ice, snow, and wind. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. This position is physically active, with lifting required. Must be able to bend and lift and carry up to 50 pounds.
Must be available 24/7 to support customers and emergency situations as needed. Position does require standby/on call rotation.
Don’t miss this great opportunity!
To apply, download our application and return it with your resume and salary expectations to Steve Frey via email or mail it to: SMTC, PO Box 438, Stratford, IA 50249.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer
Stratford Mutual Telephone Company is an equal employment opportunity employer. The company’s policy is not to unlawfully discriminate against any applicant or employee on the basis of race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, military status or any other consideration made unlawful by applicable federal, state, or local laws. The Company also prohibits harassment of applicants and employees based on any of these protected categories. It is also Stratford Mutual Telephone Company’s policy to comply with all applicable state, federal and local laws respecting consideration of unemployment status in making hiring decisions.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive list of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. The Company reserves the right to revise or change the job duties as the need arises. Management reserves the right to change the description, duties, or work schedules to accommodate individuals with disabilities.